.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Unattended cooking, inoperative, disabled smoke detectors cause of fires

-A A +A
By DOUG BANKSTON

The Fort Knox Fire Department is dedicated to the safety of all who live and work in the Fort Knox community. It is our duty and our goal to educate and re-educate this community on the dangers of failing to practice fire safety.

As Soldiers it is known that attention to detail, repetition and muscle memory is the core of our existence—indifference cost lives. Like Soldiers this department drills for a work we hope to never do. This departments prevention inspectors, firefighters and chief officers are tasked daily to share knowledge and information in the community.

There have been serious Army housing fires across a spectrum of installations/garrisons. It has been clearly determined that unattended cooking, inoperative/disabled smoke detectors, pizza boxes on stoves and large hungry dogs do start fires or delay evacuation. Soldiers, civilians and their Family members residing on post and off post should remember:

Never disconnect your smoke detector, even if alarm goes off easily and becomes a nuisance. Clean by vacuuming or replacing the detector as needed. Contact Knox Hills maintenance for faulty smoke detector issues.

Unattended cooking and cooking in general are the leading causes of fires in the country.

Chirping noise coming from a smoke detector indicates that batteries need to be replaced. Test your detectors monthly and change batteries every six months (On-post replacement batteries are provided by Knox Hills maintenance).

Make sure you clean the lint filter before or after each load of laundry. Remove lint that has collected around the drum. Do not use the dryer without a lint filter.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur when a fuel-burning appliance is not working or vented properly. Install and maintain CO alarms inside your home to provide early warning of CO.

Pet lovers: keep pets away from candles, lamps and space heaters. Consider battery-operated, flameless candles and oil filled space heaters.

Plan and practice an escape plan twice a year with entire Family, preferably one drill at night. Having a central meeting place is essential to assuring accountability.

If you have any questions or would like to schedule a courtesy inspection of your quarters, contact the Fort Knox Fire Prevention office at (502) 624-4208/ or email usarmy.knox.imcom-atlantic.list.des-fire-prevention@mail.mil. Visit us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Fort.Knox.FD.