Rich history of Fort Knox newspapers comes to an end \ ‘How much do you know about newspapers here?’

-A A +A

‘How much do you know about newspapers at Fort Knox?’


Rich history of Fort Knox newspapers comes to an end

You would be hard pressed to find an Army senior leader these days who hasn’t heard of Inside the Turret. The newspaper is as close to legendary as it gets within Army newspaper circles. But what about Godman Field Beacon or Armored Force News?

As the rich legacy of printed newspapers comes to an end at Fort Knox, we take a look back at more than 100 years of newspapers that have delivered news to the area since June 1918.

The following are known newspapers that were published for the Camp Knox and Fort Knox military and civilian communities. Additional newspapers published by specific units stationed on post are not listed here, nor is the unofficial underground newspaper that circulated on post during the Vietnam War era.

The Community Builder — believed to have started in June 1918, and the first newspaper reporting about and to the artillery Soldiers in West Point, Kentucky. The Community Builder was established by Editor Freeman H. Talbot, secretary for West Point’s War Camp Community Service board. It is not known when the paper stopped printing, but issues exist into late November 1918.

The Camp Knox News — established at Camp Knox at the Stithton cantonment in late October 1918 as a weekly newspaper for the forces of the Constructing Quartermaster. J.X. Cohen, an engineer assisting with the sewage and drainage system at Camp Knox, served as editor-in-chief. In July 1919 it was reported that circulation of the newspaper was at 5,000. The newspaper was discontinued on December 31, 1919. At least one future newspaper published on post by the 11th Infantry utilized the same name in 1922.

Fort Knox News — In November 1935, Fort Knox News began as a weekly newspaper. However, it is unknown how long this particular newspaper lasted. Apart from the initial announcement found in Danville, Kentucky’s The Advocate-Messenger, no surviving issues or additional information has been found until a short-lived newspaper by the same name made an appearance on post in 1943.

Armored Force News — first published as a weekly newspaper at Fort Knox by Leonard T. Bean in September 1940. According to Louisville’s The Courier-Journal, “The publication intends to give news of the armored force of the Nation, covering Fort Knox, Fort Benning and Fort Meade.” The newspaper continued until at least July 1945.

Godman Field Beacon — another weekly newspaper at Fort Knox, and initially edited also by Bean. Other enlisted personnel served as subsequent editors. It was published by the Base Special Service Office at Godman Field beginning in November 1943. The newspaper continued until at least early 1946.

Inside the Turret — debuted Nov. 4, 1948. In the inaugural edition, it was noted that the “mission of ‘Inside the Turret’ not only is to chronicle the news of Fort Knox, but includes the desire to bring the units into closer contact with one another and to further contribute to the creation of a Fort Knox ‘esprit.’” Bean again became the editor and publisher. He also published the Elizabethtown News at the time. President of Bean Publishing Co., he remained publisher until his retirement in 1979. In 1982, Larry Barnes took the helm at the newspaper and served 29 years until retiring in 2008, becoming the longest-serving editor in the history of the paper. On Sept. 30, 2004, Inside the Turret became known as Turret until February 2012.

The Gold Standard — made its debut Feb. 16, 2012, after the Armor School had departed to Fort Benning, Georgia, and new organizations with varied missions at Fort Knox prompted a name change. While Landmark Communications remained as its publisher, Maureen Rose took over the top position as acting editor for four years. Following Rose, Rachael Tolliver became the editor for two years, followed by Catrina Francis as acting editor. Eric Pilgrim, the final editor, arrived in September 2017.

As the staff of The Gold Standard and Fort Knox Public Affairs bid adieu to 100-plus-year legacy that the Fort Knox community has come to expect every Thursday, they turn their attention to the next chapter of Fort Knox news at www.army.mil/knox. One legacy ends; another begins …

Editor’s Note: Eric Pilgrim contributed to this article.